Your Food Choices Affect Your Oral Health
Sugar-filled sodas, sweetened fruit drinks and non-nutritious snacks can contribute to tooth decay and take a real toll on your teeth over time.
When your diet lacks certain nutrients, it may be more difficult for tissues in your mouth to resist infection. This may contribute to periodontal disease, a major cause of tooth loss in adults.
However, by eating a balanced diet made up of plenty of fruits and vegetables, you can help fortify your oral health.
To maintain a balanced diet:
- Eat a variety of foods from each of the five major food groups
- Limit the number of snacks you eat
- If you do snack, choose nutritious foods such as cheese, raw vegetables, plain yogurt or a piece of fruit
- Drink plenty of water and rinse your mouth with water after eating acidic foods and drinks
To help control the amount of sugar you consume:
- Read food labels
- Choose foods and beverages that are low in added sugars, which can be found in soft drinks, candy, cookies and pastries